PRESS STATEMENT BY THE KENYA FILM CLASSIFICATION BOARD CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER DR. EZEKIEL MUTUA MBS ON COMEDIAN ERIC OMONDI AND ONLINE CONTENT REGULATION, MONDAY 15_03_2021March 15, 2021
PARENTS URGED TO MONITOR CONTENT CONSUMED BY CHILDREN AS SCHOOLS CLOSE FOR APRIL HOLIDAYSMarch 22, 2021
The Board has agreed to consider an out-of-court settlement with comedian Eric Omondi following his arrest by the Directorate of Criminal Investigation (DCI) and the KFCB compliance officers for producing unauthorized content contrary to the Films and Stage Plays Act Cap 222 of the Laws of Kenya.
The Board has agreed to settle the case through the Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) on condition that:
- Eric Omondi deletes all the explicit content running on his online channels forthwith.
- The program in contention dubbed “Wife Material 2” is suspended forthwith until the case is heard and determined and the same fully complies with the provisions of Cap 222.
- Going forward, the producers of the program to comply with the law.
- No further explicit content shall be aired on the said Eric Omondi’s online platforms.
- If the producers of the said “Wife Material 2” wish to continue with the program they shall apply for a filming license and shall submit the scripts, synopsis, storyboard and filming schedule to the Board for approval before production.
- The producers of the said program, upon completion of production, shall submit the same to the Board for examination and classification for age appropriateness to ensure children are protected from premature exposure to adult content.
- Future productions shall strictly adhere to the terms of the exhibition licence from the Board as stipulated in the law.
- Eric Omondi commits to not exhibit or broadcast explicit content meant for public consumption on YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and other platforms unless the same has been approved by the Board in line with the conditions set in the out-of-court settlement.
- Eric Omondi fully complies with the provisions of the Films and Stage Plays Act in respect to content regulation and also the delimitations in Article 33 of the Constitution and shall not promote propaganda for war, incitement to violence, hate speech or vilification of persons
To this effect, an industry-driven Mediation Committee comprising Mr. Felix Odiwuor aka Jalang’o, Daniel Ndambuki aka Churchill and Thomas Kwaka aka Big Ted, among others, has been formed to look at the said complaint against the comedian and shall advise the Board on the way forward. Further, the Committee shall, in conjunction with the Board and the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) develop guidelines for self-regulation of online content.